Friday, November 22, 2013

Goodbyes

Goodbyes are hard. I know I've written on this before but they seem to happen often. And they very rarely get any easier. Living for a year in Haiti I have sometimes felt that I wasn't making really good friends...ones you share everything with, who seem to understand you even when you can't express yourself, who you know you'll keep up with even from afar. And I suppose partially that is true on each of those levels. But that isn't making leaving any easier. Haitians are such a happy, hopeful people (I know I'm generalizing but still) and even though our communication methods aren't the clearest (my spoken creole is spotty at best) I feel that I'm among family and people who care.

I've had people come up this week and tell me how sorry they are to hear that I'm leaving and while I may recognize their faces I don't recall speaking with them before. And there are my students (both kids and adults) who are sad to see me go and all want to know when I'm coming back and who will continue the class. It is hard to tell them I don't know when I'll be back but even more so that there isn't anyone to take and continue the classes with them. I don't know how far we've gotten but we have had fun with our hour a week classes.
I've received so many blessings here. And they keep coming. The thank yous that I'm getting are heart felt and bring me close to tears (haven't cried yet but I know it's coming). Since writing that I teared up in 3 classes, barely made it through my last staff meeting, had to walk away quickly from the girls at the House if Hope.
Now I'm on the plane. Headed home to NC and cold weather. And I'm ready. (Not that there is any more choice in the matter.) and I'm glad. Still sad that I have left so many friends behind but the dragged out goodbyes were starting to kill me. Not knowing if I'd see someone again before I left. Cleaning out my room (how much stuff!), packing (which I still don't like doing).

2 comments:

  1. Every goodbye ushers in a new hello and a welcome.
    Enjoy your holidays as you look for your next opportunity to bless new lives.
    May God bless you for all you do.
    Sincerely,
    jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am enjoying my time home. I hope you are enjoying the holidays too! peace, j

      Delete