Wednesday, June 15, 2011

wk 13

I got letters!! It does sometimes come through!! Thanks!
Went ot town on Sunday…visited the wood market “sister, sister, come see looking is free, come close, look here, sister sister” is the constant murmur…then had lunch and went to a Black Missionaries Concert. One of the most well known bands in Malawi—reggae music. It would be a nice afternoon concert as it was advertised to start at 130. We arrived around 230 and were the first ones to arrive! It was the strangest feeling to be an hour late and still be the only ones there…so we got drinks and sat down on the cricket field. We could see the speakers and instruments set up but no music as yet. Someone walked by and we asked what time things would be starting…well the music would probably start around 330 or 4…and they were right. They also said that there would be over 1000 people there which we also found hard to believe as yet there were maybe a handful…but in the end he was right on both counts (I think). We listened and danced and had a good time. We knew it was time to leave when guys were getting a little pushy and declaring their love for us due to their alcohol consumption.
I stayed in town that night with a woman who works for USAID who I met on the plane on the way here. Very nice house and food and guest room. I think I’ll have to take her up on it more often as the internet I had was very fast—too bad I was too tired to use it to advantage…at immigration the next morning I was able to put in my application for Temporary Employment and pay the processing fee and then I was told that I was still illegal…the TEP is supposed to be applied for while the applicant is out of the country and the employer is supposed to do it…so as my permit to be in the country has expired and I only have an application in…I could be arrested at anytime. The officer said he could arrest me now (but I could tell that he wasn’t planning on that one). he then offered to have me come live with him as I don’t have a husband…very nice offer I’m sure. Also said that I could be arrested as soon as I walk outside…but it isn’t written on my forehead so I don’t know how they would know…all they have to do is look at your passport (which I don’t normally carry)…so now I’m just waiting for what happens next…and keeping my receipt as that is what most of the doctors here have as very often the applications don’t get processed for ages or they get lost somewhere…
The epilepsy clinic was crazy busy on Tuesday. Well the whole clinic was. I think Dr. Morton saw easily 60 patients…30 of them epilepsy. It was very busy walking in and out with the patients. It is nice to see that some of them are doing very well at filling out their paperwork as to taking their medication and when they have seizures…it makes it much easier to see when or if they have seizures and what to do with their medicine doses.
I got a new flatmate. The new eye doctor moved in on Tuesday. Ute is from Germany and will be here until the end of next year. She is very nice though we don’t know each other yet. And then on Friday she went home for 3 weeks. So I’m on my own again for a little while.
On Thursday I went to the clinic at Mlonda with the NC Presbytery group. They have been working on the house for the doctor who will be at that clinic. It is a huge house and we spent the day painting and sanding and varnishing and scraping (all the paint spots off the concrete floors—anyone heard of dropcloths?). There is still some work to be done but it looks very good and I believe that the doctor is looking forward to going now as before there wasn’t going to be anyone since there was nowhere to live.
Went to the lake for the weekend. Very nice. Cooler than it has been as it is getting on to winter but still beautiful during the day for swims and naps. And the fish dinners are excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment