Saturday, March 20, 2010

back to school

I was really dreading school starting again. in the pit of my stomach I flat out didn’t want to go back. I could really get used to travelling and not teaching while in Malawi. Then Monday morning came. And it went so well. We’d added some centers (had blocks made over break so now we can build). And the kids were very good. I did only have 7 of them…not sure what the other 3 were up to. But it went great. Left feeling like I could handle this and make it through.

Tuesday was similar. Still not completely sure that I wanted to be teaching. 8 kids arrived and the day went as well as Monday. Patrick- a sweetheart but sometimes gets into trouble- was very clingy and lethargic. Didn’t want to sit on his mat during group time and ended up on my lap through most of it. I also carried him around for much of the morning. During break he sat in my lap or lay down on the porch. I don’t know whether he just didn’t sleep the night before or what. He’s small so it wasn’t a problem for me.

The rest of the week was ok. The days got long toward the end of the week but I think that is normal for all working people…always looking forward to the weekends. The kids have started talking to me about sharing their things with me. Or coming to my house to visit (scary prospect). Or cutting my finger nails. (really?). nice that they are taking an interest but not sure that I want them at my house or helping with my hygiene.

Note: the kids here can cry and wail at the drop of a hat. No pain is necessary for crocodile tears and the loudest wailing you can imagine. Seriously I’ve never heard anything like it from someone really not hurt. It also turns off as easily after an apology (from the offender). Amazing. And done totally for effect I think…and it does seem to get results as I can’t handle the wailing for any amount of time. Something I’ll have to work on.

Saw my first hedgehog. Prickly little suckers! Rolled in a ball for the longest time and when he finally started to open I thought he was pretty ugly. But then when he was uncurled and wandering around he really was quite cute.

Also tried termites…sold in the market here and Rhona wanted a picture and felt she had to buy some to get the picture. Then we figured we had to try them since we had bought them. Got a Malawian to fix them (figured that was the way to go) I did try them as did Dorothy but the mental issue of eating insects meant I didn’t make it past 2 bites and I felt queasy the rest of the afternoon. Just thinking about them now still makes me squirm.

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't eat the termites in Pearlington I sure wouldn't do it in Malawi. You are brave to try!
    PS - Really enjoying all your stories. I look forward to each of your postings.
    Best wishes, play hard, play safe!
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♫ Happy Birthday to you...♪
    ♫ Happy Birthday to you...♫
    ♪ Happy Birthday dear Jessi..♫
    ♪ Happy Birthday To Youuuuu♫ ♪♫!!!!!!
    Hope you have a beautiful day!
    Julie S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday - possibly belated due to timezone shifts. Great to be able to follow your adventures here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated birthday wishes, Jessi! I didn't know it was your birthday. Hope it was a fun day for you.

    Love, Allene

    ReplyDelete